Re: quick questions Powerbase240 Mac clone install

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 06:24:14PM -0500, VincePanero@aol.com wrote:
> On the initial power up (install floppy of Debian gives you a small penguin
> icon aftera macintosh icon) to a beige old world mac, what key combo will
> slow down the linux "bios"-esque screen at the start? If no key combo, is
> there a file or log somewhere in the small RAM disk ash shell ( that is
> installed initially) where someone could look at what is being identified by
> the linux?

dmesg | more

in the shell should show you the startup messages.

> I got through most of the install and got a(and I quote verbatim):
>
> base instruction error
> debootstrap exited with an error(returned value 1)
>
> then it takes me through the install again from the first PPC install CD. and
> this loop repeated adinfinitum

Were you installing over the network? I'm getting miserable download
performance sue to the slammer worm, maybe it would be better to
download basedebs.tar to a partition ahead of time, and then point
the installer to that partition.

> Here is my partition.  I plan this system to be only linux and a basic
> workstation:
>
> /dev/sda 1 apple   31.5k
> /dev/sda 2 root 250m
> /dev/sda 3 swap 128 m
> /dev/sda 4 home 200m
> /dev/sda 5 var   200m
> /dev/sda 6 tmp 100m
> /dev/sda 7 usr 1.2g
>
> the machine: Powercomputing Powerbase240 Mac clone. RAM?  I believe 64M...but
> want to double check that.

Is this a beige G3 (I don't think it is...)? If so, you will need the
patched version of quik referenced on this list during the last week
or so. You could probably tell from

cat /proc/cpuinfo

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003