Re: Umax SuperMac

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:38:35AM +0100, Leandro Guimar?es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 23:20, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> >
> > What you want to do is install BootX and put the boot kernel in the Linux
> > Kernels folder in the mac os system folder.
>
> 	No, I'd rather yaboot or the like if I can get it.

yaboot will most assuredly _NOT_ work on oldworld. BootX is a good way to go;
the floppies may be working too, but your display may not be compatible
with the video card.

> 	Isn't it quik or ybin for OldWorld?

quik - but that won't help you to install

> 	Thanks for your extensive and considerate answer, but I am none the
> wiser.  My first problem is getting the machine to do something, be it
> booting a floppy, displaying OF or even Mac OS (as a stepping stone to
> further GNU happiness).  But for some reason the floppy simply is
> ignored, I don't know how to display OF here (and my other machine is an
> iBook, so I guess I won't be able to see anything with OF serial
> output), and Mac OS doesn't seem to like my IBM 8518-2 PS/2 Color
> Display.

I think you're correct about the display being the issue. I'm pretty
sure this computer was built before the machines were made compatible
with regular multisync monitors.

You could try a serial install, hook up another computer to the modem
port. As a bonus, you'll be able to see OpenFirmware. The speed is
probably 38400, not 9600.

Be sure to read the install manual at

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install

|                  To HAVE, GIVE all TO all (ACIM)               |