USB support on oldworld G3 only with BootX extension

Hi List

This post only to share the conclusion to my quest. (I've been fighting for
some time now. Thanks to all who attempted to help, especially Chris
Tillman)

My configuration
----------------
MT Beige G3 333, 256MB, ATI64
PCI
. Orange Micro FireWire+USB (corded Logitech iTouch kb + Wheel mouse)
. Utrawide SCSI (sym53c8xx)
. Voodoo2 3dfx
Debian r3.0, 7 cd set (self burnt)
MacOS 9.2.2
BootX 1.2.3 (from mdrk dist), kernel deb-vmlinux24, system on /dev/hda7

Symptoms
--------
* system freeze after some USB logs (hub.c:... or sub.c:...) at boot
or
* USB keyboard not responding at all
or
* system freeze after some key hits while installing base system

SOLUTION
========
Boot to Linux via the BootX extension and *not* via the BootX app.

Ben: any idea why? Did I miss something in some documentation?

Cheers
Fred