Re: Debian Testing with 2.2.19 kernel & 2.2.20 modules

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:09:34PM +0200, Fran wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've succesfully install on a PowerMac 7200 this debian testing distribution using boot floppies and http sources.lists.
>
> I would like to thank everyone who have contributed to this distribution and apologize for my poor english.
>
> My problem is the following the kernel is a 2.2.19 one as reported by uname -a command. All the  modules are for a 2.2.20 kernel and I've some problems to either compile new stuff or use certain modules as smbfs for instance.
>
> I could I get around this problem and either get 2.2.20 binary kernel (resources are so scarce on my PMAC that I could not download and compile the kernel source tree, or force apt-get to downgrade all the installed packages to a 2.2.19 release.

The installed packages don't depend on the kernel's revision level. You
can easily upgrade to a 2.4.18 kernel, if you wish, simply by

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-pmac

and changing your bootloader to load it.

In your case, if you like 2.2.20, just do the same with the 2.2.20
kernel-image. Apparently you mixed a 2.2.19 installer with a 2.2.20
root.bin somehow.