Airport performance issues?

Hi,

recently I noticed severe performance hits on my WLAN. I connect with
my ibook2 (airport) to an Netgear ME102 access point and sometimes
after producing some heavy traffic the bitrate goes down to the
minimum of 1Mbit/s, resulting in very poor net performance, hanging
http requests and such. Iwconfig shows something like the following:
eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:***  Nickname:***
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point: ***
          Bit Rate=1Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:2347 B
          Encryption key:***
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:63/92  Signal level:-35 dBm  Noise level:-98 dBm

notable the high fragmentation and lots of excessive retries (whatever
that means). Setting the fragmentation threshold to a fixed value or
to automatic made no difference. I am not sure if this behaviour is a
result of general WLAN problems (configuration?) or a hardware
failure. But since sending the ibook to sleep or reloading the airport
driver modules remedies the situation for some time I guess this might
be a driver problem. I am using the latest rsync'ed benh kernel with
the airport drivers (airport, orinoco, hermes) dating back from May
15th.
Any ideas?

Regards

--