Linux 2.4 on PowerBook G3 pismo

Hello,

I am running Debian Linux 3 (woody) on my PowerBook G3 pismo and a
2.2.19 kernel. Everything is fine but I would like to move to a 2.4
kernel in order to get usb floppy and power management support.

I installed a standard debian 2.4.18 kernel by using apt-get. Then X
doesn't work anymore: it seems that X clients cannot connect with the
X server (see the typical scripts I get when trying to launch manually
xinit (the same takes place with xdm)).

Does anybody have some explanation to this or knows where I can find a
correct 2.4 kernel image for my PowerBook ?

Many thanks,

--
        Paul Caspi
VERIMAG (CNRS),       	   tel : (33/X) 4 76 63 48 41

Script started on Wed Jul  3 22:52:29 2002
root@arve:~# xinit

warning: process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested
_XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for local
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for local/arve:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for local

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes@XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
	newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
	reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-powerpc-smp ppc [ELF]

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
._FontTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for unix
_FontTransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for unix
_FontTransOpen: transport open failed for unix/arve:7100
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/arve:0
..

xinit:  Address family not supported by protocol (errno 97):  unexpected signal 2

waiting for X server to shut down

root@arve:~#
Script done on Wed Jul  3 22:52:55 2002