Re: Can't start installation via yaboot at OpenFirmware prompt

Kent West wrote:

New Information:
----------------
As an experiment, I used pdisk to delete the 14th partition, named "MacShared". I then recreated it with the command:

C 14p 14p MacOS Apple_HFS

and wrote the changes to disk. I then rebooted.

When OS 9 finished booting, I saw the second disk icon still there, and it was still named "MacShared". So I pulled up pdisk to see what it thought about the partitions, and it shows:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/ata0.0' (/dev/hda)
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
 2:     Apple_Bootstrap boot                1600 @ 12654848
 3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
 4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
 5:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh            512 @ 192
 6:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 704
 7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              524288 @ 1216     (256.0M)
 8:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                 153600 @ 525504   ( 75.0M)
 9:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /tmp               51200 @ 679104   ( 25.0M)
10:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr             3276800 @ 730304   (  1.6G)
11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var              512000 @ 4007104  (250.0M)
12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home            1024000 @ 4519104  (500.0M)
13:           Apple_HFS "MacOS"          6963200 @ 5543104  (  3.3G)
14:           Apple_HFS "MacShared"       148544 @ 12506304 ( 72.5M)

I went back and deleted the partition, and rebooted before recreating it; the second "drive" no longer showed up in MacOS9. I then recreated the partition again using pdisk and giving the partition a new name, and after reboot, the "drive" was there, with the same name as before and all its data intact. I tried this process again, but created a smaller partition (by 2.5M), and after reboot, OS 9 still saw the drive as MacShared, and still had the data.

So apparently, pdisk simply isn't affecting the partition the way I would expect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kent