Re: Can't start installation via yaboot at OpenFirmware prompt

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:24:43PM -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Thanks to Chris and Brad for pointing this out. So I reckon that means
> there's no way to distinguish or create an HFS+ partition using pdisk?

Well just by name.

> >Which debian-imac release are you using, the 2.2 or 3.0? Perhaps there's
> >been some corruption of the yaboot binary or something.
> >

> The installation instructions pointed me to a .sit archive at
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/debian-imac/debian-imac.sit; that
> site doesn't say what release it is, and I'm not at the Mac at the

OK, that's the 2.2 (potato) version.

> moment to read any ReadMe's, etc. The installation instructions also
> point to
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-powerpc/current/
> to get the files individually, so I reckon it's the stable/potato
> release. I'll know more Monday when I get back to the Mac.
>
> >When you dragged the 4 files, you put them on the disk icon for the Shared
> >partition, not on the desktop, right?
> >
> Yes. I dragged the whole debian-imac folder to the MacShared icon, then
> opened the MacShared icon, opened the debian-imac folder, opened the
> "copy these files to the root of hard disk" (or something similar)
> folder, grabbed all four files, and copied them (not moved - I used
> Alt-Click&Hold&Drab, or Command-, or whatever the proper key is that
> does a copy instead of a move) to the open MacShared icon, which would
> be equivalent (I believe) to dropping them onto the MacShared icon from
> the desktop.

That's right. I'm just puzzled. Many people have downloaded that release
(over 3000), and this is the first time anyone's told me about a problem.

The files from the official Debian site, of course, are linked in the
installation manual.