eth switched in 2.4.18 kernel for G3 b&w 400 mz

After a long and tiedous week, I just found out of why I could not get networking on my G3.

1.  I installed a fresh debian system - did not work when changing from 2.2.19 kernel to 2.4.18
2.  played with settings.. -did not work...
3.  compiled own kernels many times.. -did not work...

but putting another nic into my box and playing with that... kinda..

and what worked was switching the actual connections from the internel eth to the nic while keeping the settings as eth0...

sooo... I found out that eth0 is actually my asente nic (eth1 in reality).  For some reason the 2.4.18 kernel on my G3 box is switched.  But it is now working.  I just want to follow up just incase if any one else may have simular probablims...

Szia,
Adam