Re: Finally got debian installed, X configured, and am locked outof Linux

Hi

> On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 17:51, andrew may wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:29:36PM -0500, Bert Knabe wrote:
>> After much wailing and nashing of teeth, I have gotten Linux installed and
>> Xwindows almost working. Installing Linux was the easy part. Now when I
>> boot Linux, it boots into a Debian graphic login, but it won't let me
>> login. Whether I log in as me or as root, it says the password is
>> incorrect. I know the passwords are correct, they are the same wones I
>> used from the command
>>
>> I think gdm and the others don't allow root login's by default. Check in
>> /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf  add or change AllowRoot=true
>
> Logging in as root into X isn't a good idea in general, there are sudo, su
> & friends for administrative tasks. And he tried as normal user so that
> can't be the only problem anyhow.

Hmm, interesting. Some days ago I freshly installed woody on my apus box,
changed the sources.list to testing (iirc), downloaded the X package trough
tasksel. After some fiddling with xfree86 (fbdev vs. glint) I finally managed
to have gdm running, asking me for username and pw to graphicaly log
in. I had the same problem, my pw was rejected. I finally found out that I
couldn't do any capital letters according to a bad xkb config. Have you ever
tried to type your pw in the username field? So you could at least verify that
the keyboard is working correctly.

BTW: now I have it all up and running, thanks to putting woody in the
sources.list, not using taskesl but aptitude, and some nice FAQ's.

--
Best wishes,
Andi