Re: Voodoo3 2000 problems in Woody

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:08:24 -0500
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> wrote:

> On Jul 01, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> > This is a repost from a bit ago, all I really want to know, is WILL
> > THIS CARD WORK?  I mean, if the only suggestion you have is RTFM,
> > I've been rtfm'ing the crap outta stuff trying to get it to work,
> > with no luck, I never recived ANY sort of response the first time,
> > and after talking to Mr Branden Robinson, he said to resort to
> > threats, and to mention something about already going to "Overfiend"
> > and that the list members would know about it =]
>
> It will work on i386 (I had a Voodoo 3 that moved around between a few
> systems for a while until it fried itself a few months back), but I
> haven't a clue about using this card on a PowerPC.
>
> Sounds like the card is flaky when you try to do accelerated stuff,
> but it could be a PPC issue.  If you have a Intel box around, see if
> it works in there with XF4; that should give your answer.
>
> You might also want to try the pre-release 4.2.0 packages, but I doubt
> that will fix the problem.

No i386 machines around, cept for a laptop, and this card is rocksolid in MacOS using the beta14(?  I think drivers), and running as a simple fbdev device, it's just the accelerated X-server that seems to give it fits.....  I *think* the 3dfx MacOS drivers make for hardware acceleration, but I admit I am somewhat ignorant in that respect

					--SHawn