Re: Battery Life for a 2400c

> 	I'm curious about my 2400 that I just got. It seems that the battery
> doesn't charge all the way, or perhaps it's the software that's
> reading it (pmud). I haven't done a real thorough test to see how
> long the book will run, but that'll come tonight. Anyhow, what I'm
> looking for is, how long to these books usually run? And is pmud
> generally accurate in depicting the change level, as mine never goes
> over 25%. And, as I have another battery that won't hold a charge at
> all, what can a semi-competent electronics person do to repair them?

A few random ideas:

- Your battery may just be plain old and worn out. This happens :)

- Depending on the type of battery (on the 2400 probably NiCd or NiMH),
  they are more (NiCd) or les (NiMH) prone to the memory effect. Cycling
  a few charge-discharge cycles may improve things on the NiMH
  batteries.

- If those are so-called 'intelligent' batteries, then the battery
  controller may be confused about the real status of the batteries.
  That device can be reset; search the usual Mac shareware archives for
  something called along the lines of 'battery recondition..' for a tool
  to do that.

- If nothing else helps, get new batteries: the expensive way is through
  Apple or some third-party reseller. There _may_ be a less expensive
  way by changing just the battery cells _inside_ the battery pack, not
  the complete block. I've seen instructions to this effect for the
  PB500 series. Maybe here:
  http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/520_Fixes/520_%26_540.htm

Hope this helps

Michel