WAS benh kernel/ low latency patches NOW ppc audio software

> I can't answer your question about kernel patches, but I'm very
> curious about the state of DAW software for Linux, esp. PPC. I hope
> you don't mind me asking, but if you can point me to any good software
> or tips, I would really appreciate it. Audio work is about the only
> thing I'm still doing on MacOS (ProTools, WaveBurner), and I'd really
> love to be able to switch that too.

Hello Michael/ list

I've been dabbling with linux audio/ ppc for many months now. I too
would love to escape from macos completely. the only thing stopping me
is the lack of vxpocket drivers, which mean i don't have a high quality
way to get audio into my laptop. but takashi iwai has put some
vx drivers in alsa cvs recently which i'm watching with interest (and
recompiling every time theres an update ). I recently reinstalled the OS
on my powerbook after the screen broke and the repair firm nuked my hard
drive. So i went for debian(used to have yellow dog). This was a good
oppurtunity to take stock of what software worked well etc. So you asked
the question at a good time! Heres some of what i've tried out and found
stable:

Drivers

get alsa 0.9 rc5 - its great! it also supports usb-midi and usb-audio
devices and many pro soundcards. and soon the vxpocket. :)

Audio editors:

1. audacity . all versions except 1.1.0 have endian issues, so use
1.1.0. or fix it!  . its a nice stable audio editor with simple
multitrack facilities. Also can use the ladspa plugs - ladspa == vst
plugins (ish)

2. sweep - nice, very quick audio editor + ladspa

3. snd - another audio editor. works, but i don't really use it cos i
prefer the gui's on the others.

mp3/ dj stuff
1. gdam - if you have a reasonable machine, gdam is a powerful mp3 dj
program. you can have as many 'turntables' as your cpu can handle all
with real time effects and more. if you want to try this, you need to
tweak the server config file (put wrong_endian in the device options)

2. dbmix  a system that lets you plug lots of mp3 players into a virtual
mixer. a simpler way to do mp3 dj'ing thats less damanding on the cpu
than gdam.

3. xmms - x multimedia system . media player that can be also plugged
into dbmix.

multitrack audio

1. ardour - to be a match for pro tools. I say 'to be' cos its only
available in cvs at the mo and its not ready for prime time yet. give it
a few months.. i had it running on my mac this weekend and it looks like
it will be pretty decent. you need a fast machine though! the audio
was quite glitchy on my machine, hence the question about low latency
patches ;)

sequencers
have not really tried any of these as i use an akai mpc2000 for
sequencing. apparently muse and rosegarden work. i think these do audio
sequencing as well. i'll have to check them out.

DSP
i've only really tried pd here. its totally stable and looks amazing! .
i never seem to have the time to learn it :(

Synths

I used to have Spiral Synth modular, but it only ever worked with one
kernel/ driver combo (2.4.10/oss). This is a great synth, a little
like reaktor. I need to learn c so i can fix it rather than moaning that
it doesn't work.

I do need to find some more midi controllable synths that work well!

some links:
http://www.pure-data.org/
http://ardour.sourceforge.net/
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/snd/