Re: Audio Problems on an iBook

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 08:46:43AM +1000, Drake Diedrich wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 11:59:45AM +0100, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I've got an iBook which every so often seems to go a bit haywire in
> > the audio department. When I open the lid, so the machine comes out of
> > suspend, most times everything's fine. Every once in a while, I'll get
> > a load of static come out of the left speaker. Other times, it seems that

Interesting that this gets discussed right now, I never had it happen
until about a week ago after switching from 2.4.19-pre4-ben0 to -pre6-ben0.
Therefore I thought it was a recently introduced bug and switched back to
pre4...  According to this thread, this is not the case.

>    I suspend many times per day, and this would happen about once per week
> (the screaming iBook).  Removing the audio module on suspend and bringing it
> back in on wakeup removes the symptom - as long as you don't mind losing
> your audio settings each suspend (I've learned to prefer to have it come up
> muted by default each time I move: so just as well).

One could use aumix to save/restore settings in pwrctl-local or from
modules.conf/modutils via pre-remove+post-install command execution,
which is what I am trying right now.  Successful unloading on suspend
can be prevented by programs having the dsp/mixer device open which is
the case on my system from time to time.

Thomas Linder.