Re: fbset problem or how to change the res?

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Ron Farrer wrote:
> Michel D?nzer (daenzer@debian.org) wrote:
>
> > Try video=tdfx:vmode=16:cmode=2,noaccel video=offb:off
>
> Ok, that got rid of offb and tdfx working, but I don't have a usable
> console now. The text is 640x480 and is so mangled, I can _just_ barely
> make it out to type out a few simple commands (like shutdown.) Issuing
> the previously meantioned fbset causes the display to be set at the
> proper resolution (but still mangled) - however X reverts to 640x480.

Add the mode you want to your XF86Config.

> Another problem is that the fbset doesn't stick between reboots, where

Pass the video mode you want as a parameter to the kernel, cfr.
linux/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt.

> with the offb it did... So basically one step forward, two steps back.
> ;-) Any suggestions on how to fix any or all of this would be greatly
> appricated.

I would be _very_ surprised if fbset would do anything at all using offb :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds