Re: XFree German Keymap on Pismo ... @ and | not working

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:07:20PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 13:15, Michael Flaig wrote:
> >
> > > I've upgraded my Debian sid this morning and decided to switch to new
> > > input layer. console works fine with "Apple USB".
> > >
> > > but XFree doesn't work. I set in XF86Config-4:
> > >
> > > Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
> > > Driver          "keyboard"
> > > Option          "CoreKeyboard"
> > > Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
> > > Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
> > > Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
> > > Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
> > >
> > > Has someone an idea what I set wrong?
> >
> > That's more or less the recommended configuration.
> >
> > > Where could be a problem?
> >
> > It's a known problem, but nobody wants to fix it... some keyboards don't
> > generate the keycode that Xkb maps to AltGr.
>
> If someone with such a keyboard would send me patches that are known to
> work, I'd be happy to apply them.
>
> The two files I'd look at are:
>
> /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/macintosh
>
> and
>
> /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/de

O.K., I am not really able to give you patches because the one time I
tried to understand xkb, I really gave up after I had the most important
things which I needed. So I created my own rules-file and own symbols and
keycodes files which are only slight modifications of the standard files.
It works great for me and because I also don't like the console keymaps,
I have my own German keymaps there, too, which really have Alt as Alt and
the Apple-key as a sort of AltGr. the codes for some important characters
which are otherwise missing are: (My computer is an iBook2, but I guess it
should be quite similar on other laptops.)

Apple+'5' = '['
Apple+'6' = ']'
Apple+'7' = '|'
Apple+'8' = '{'
Apple+'9' = '}'
Apple+'0' = '\'
Apple+'l' = '@'

(These are modelled after some MacOS-maps, IIRC.)

So I have tarred everything in the following location, together with my
XF86Config-4: (and please observe: the keymaps are for linux keycodes, not
raw ADB keycodes)

http://www.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/lsix/geyer/linux/keyboard.tar.gz

If someone could package that or give me instructions how to do that, I
would be very pleased.

Best regards,
Lukas