Re: Detecting state of iBook gmac ethernet

>If you are looking for location-dependant network settings, look at
>intuitively (available in woody).
>
>If you are looking for ethernet hardware config such as speed and/or
>duplex state, search the archives of this list or of linuxppc-dev; there
>has been some talk about that issue lately. IIRC, there have been some
>mods by BenH to make the GMAC driver compatible with ethtool and/or
>miitool.

Not gmac, but sungem, which will replace gmac soon.

However, there is a problem with using such tools. For power management
reasons, I shut down the chip when the interface is closed (gmac) or
a couple of seconds after it is closed (sungem). So you can't use
ethtool to get the link state.

Ben.