Base system stalls during boot

My system: PowerMac G4/400 PCI Graphics, 160 MB RAM, 2 internal IDE drives - 10 GB Western Digital and a 40 GB Maxtor.

My problem: I'm trying to install Woody, so I downloaded the files needed to create an boot/install CD (as per http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html), intending to perform the install via FTP.

I went through the install, and everything seemed to work without incident. I chose to make the system bootable from the hard disk, and rebooted the system. This part worked as well - I'm getting the yaboot prompt, and the linux system starts to boot from the hard drive. However, it stalls with error message:

"15TZconfig exited with return value 1"

I noticed that I wasn't asked to set the time zone from the installer (which is different from the 2.2 installer).

If I reboot, the system stalls with a different error:

"Id "1" respawning too fast"

I've wiped the partition clean and re-installed twice with the same results. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

-dave
--
David Weingart