Re: XMMS + Ogg = hiss?

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:06:02AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Anthony Lau <anthony@greyweasel.com> writes:
>
> > I've been encoding some of my CD's into Ogg RC2 files using
> > GRIP. ogg123 plays the resulting files fine, but XMMS just produces
> > hiss. i386 version of XMMS plays the same files just fine.
>
> All I can say is that I had problems with XMMS for quite a while.
> Upgrading the kernel fixed some of them, and then the rest were fixed
> with the most recent XMMS in sid.
>
> For the details, see bugs 96251, 102927, and 97941.

Thanks for the info. #102927 reports that the vorbis+ESD was fixed
for big-endian, however I am still having hissing problems. Same thing
with vorbis+OSS.

My kernel is 2.4.9-benh0 (+xfs patches).
Versions of libvorbis and xmms are the newest in sid:

ii  libogg-dev     1.0rc2-1       Ogg Bitstream Library Development
ii  libogg0        1.0rc2-1       Ogg Bitstream Library
ii  libvorbis-dev  1.0rc2-1       Development library for OGG Vorbis
ii  libvorbis0     1.0rc2-1       The OGG Vorbis lossy audio compression codec
ii  vorbis-tools   1.0rc2-1       Several Ogg Vorbis Tools
ii  xmms           1.2.5-2        Versatile X audio player that looks like Win
ii  xmms-dev       1.2.5-2        XMMS development static library and header f

nolandia:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
dmasound_pmac          32832   1  (autoclean)
dmasound_core          13248   1  (autoclean) [dmasound_pmac]
soundcore               5056   3  (autoclean) [dmasound_core]

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, exporting my mp3 directory
via NFS to my Athlon machine is not exactly a great solution. :-)

--
Anthony