Help desperately wanted setting up X server

 Like many people, so it seems, I am having many problems setting up X...

Bear with me as I am new to Debian but have some experience in LinuxPPC and
in editing files with vi.

Machine: Motorola Starmax 3000/200 (603e Mac clone)
Video: Standard Mac on board plus FormacGA6 s3 (VIRGE) graphics PCI card
OS: dual boot Debian 2.2r2 with Mac OS 8.6 and BootX

The install goes well with only only a few minor non-X related error
messages...

AnXious during the installation process tells me I need and it will install
the s3v server. However after the reboot the machine is configured to use
the fbd generic server. I have tried installing X after the main install and
again anXious says it will install the s3v driver but again the fbd one is
actually installed in usr/X11R6/bin/

Startx leads to a great many error being posted and X crashing.

OK, how can I manually install the s3v driver or any generic driver which
will enable X to boot - svga or whatever. Which files do I need also need to
edit and how.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go back to LinuxPPC!

Cheers,

Mark