Re: vlc 0.2.82 debs available

Hi there,

On  23 Aug, this message from Josh Huber echoed through cyberspace:
> This is cool -- what I really need to get working now is the XVideo
> extention,

Works for me (I think ;-)

> as I suspect this will help greatly for speeed issues on my
> Lombard.

On any box. Xvideo is supported in X4.0.3 with ATI 128; for Mach64, look
at GATOS.

>  Anyone tried gprof out lately on ppc?  Last time I tried
> (granted, it was probably a year ago, it segfaulted a lot).
>
> In any case, I'm building vlc with --enable-gprof support as I write
> this now...

That should help find where we can improve.

One area is IDCT, where vlc contains some altivec code for MacOS
X/Darwin. Unfortunately, it's a C extension, and that is not supported
by our tools.

Also, most recent grafix chipsets provide some form of acceleration for
DVD playing, mostly in three areas: YUV to RGB and scaling (used by
Xvideo; available with ATI chipsets); IDCT in hardware (ATI Rage 128;
not supported); and motion compemsation (ATI; not upported).

According to the GATOS project, they're not planning on supporting the
advanced features anytime soon due to lack of documentation.

So I guess it is worthwhile to hack some Altivec acceleration into these
tools; that should help a lot.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |