Re: airport / pcmcia ?

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:37:50PM +0200, Michael Flaig wrote:
> Well ... no encryption is bad :-( Everyone with a laptop in front of my door could sniff my network, or isn´t it so easy ?
>
> so you build vpn between you and ?! access point or gateway route !? how does this work ...
> i thought vpn is point to point so you have to build a tunnel to the other point you want to connect !?
>
> or is it possible to tunnel only the short path from card to access point or router ?

well I personally postulate that if you ever have anything important go across
the link relying on wep alone is useless, if is just some home network and you
use appropriate firewall rules I suppose it is up to you to evaluate the
risk. however even 128 bit WEP can be bypassed in about 15 minutes with any
old laptop, someone even posted a program that does it on internet about a
week ago (a week after the big announcement that they got WEP breaking down to
15 minutes from 8 hours)

As for the VPN, it goes from your wireless client machine, in my case
powerbook laptop (yes with built in airport card) to a computer attached to
the airport base station. I use CIPE as it is a heck of a lot easier to set up
and run than any other VPN technology (and doesnt suffer the realy nasty
issues of PPP over SSH tunnels (read the thing on the CIPE web page about
these problems). The data going throough the access point is encrypted, but
once it gets to a computer on my wired LAN it gets decrypted and routed from
there. Simple really.

        See You
            Steve

--