Re: Is the iBook2 really good?

Russell Williams wrote:

> Is the iBook2 really a good choice as an inexpensive Debian notebook?

Most definitely.

> What are the bad parts of it?

Some hardware support isn't well integrated yet, you might have to collect a
few patches.

> Can I just recompile x86 apps?

In general, yes. But you don't even have to, it's all done for you by our
hard-working team of porters/developers. ;)

> E.g. I would like to run Ximian Gnome but they only have debs for
> Potato/x86.

Do you absolutely need _Ximian_ GNOME? GNOME 1.4 is in the main Debian
archive, and the Ximian debs tend to be worse integrated into the system.

> I have heard very different opinions on the G3 500
> ranging from people saying it's as good as a P3 800 to
> opinions saying it's no better than a Celeron 300.

It depends on the application.

> I usually use Ximian Gnome and Mozilla and Gnumeric
> etc. Is the G3 500 strong enough for those apps?

Yep. Even the G3 400 in this Pismo is. ;) Enough RAM is probably more
important anyway.

> BTW I sometimes like to play games. Can I play Unreal
> Tournament comfortably or is the G3 500 too slow?

You'd have to port UT to PPC first to tell... I'm afraid it'd be too slow.