Re: xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 for powerpc at X Strike Force repository
Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:22:08AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > xfree86 (4.1.0-0pre1v1) unstable; urgency=low
> These packages are now available for powerpc.
And they work for me, with a few caveats:
- the generated XF86Config locks up the machine on r128 Notebooks. The Device
Section needs either Option "UseFBDev" (only works with aty128fb) or
"ProgramFPRegs" "No" to avoid that.
- Xkb doesn't work with Macintosh keycodes anymore, used to work with 4.0.3
Other than that, no problems (Neither on my work machine, an Athlon with a
Matrox G450) so far. Keep up the good work Branden!
To the powerpc folks: 4.1.0 is IMHO very interesting to us mainly for these
- atimisc driver (for mach64 chips) should work out of the box, much improved
compared to 4.0.x
- working DRI for r128. You'll need to build your own kernel module (only 2.4
supported) for this. http://xfree86.org/~alanh/ has a tarball for that
purpose. DRI rocks! :)
- for those don't have so well supported hardware, the fbdev driver has been
beefed up by Render (for AA text) and DGA support and a new ShadowFB
implementation for better interactive performance.
Beware that there are a few new endianness bugs, in particular r128 Xv is
broken. :( Hope we can fix that soon.
Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper) \ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc) developer
CS student, Free Software enthusiast \ XFree86 and DRI project member