Problems with Bootx and G3

I have an beige G3 desktop (old world?) I am trying to get bootx to load the
installer from the ramdisk. What I get is the Linux splash and near the
bottom of the boot info page "Ramdisk could not find a ramdisk image
starting at 0."
I partitioned the drive with the mac partition tool under OS9. I left a 3g
partition in the beginning of the disk and put OS9 on the second partition.
Any ideas or thoughts. I am fairly new to the Mac flavor of things. Is there
a way to use yaboot on this type of machine, by chance. Can't get the debian
cd to boot on this machine either (holding c or from within firmware)

Thanx for any input