newbie help

hello all!
I've just subscribed and I feel bad that my first post is a cry for help.
Hopefully I'll be able to help others in the future.

I'm having trouble installing Debian on my RS/6000 43P.
Reading through the archives I can see this is a common problem.  I think
mine might be a bit different, though I did struggle with boot problems.
I was able to successfully boot from the CD.  I see the lines about loading
Linux.
Then I get errors.

	SCSI host 0 (pid 4) abort timed out resetting
	SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
	pid =4 reset_flags = 2 serial number = xxxxx serial number at timeout =
xxxxx

Where xxxxx continually increases.

I appreciate any help or suggestions to help me get pointed in the right
direction for resolution.

Thanks a lot,
Phil
pstraus@acad.stedwards.edu