Re: Install Potato 2.2r2 from CD onto Old World Mac?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 07:48:50PM -0600, Garry Roseman wrote:
> I bought the new official Potato CD set, 2.2r2, and tried installing
> Debian ppc on my PowerMac clone, a PowerComputing PowerWave 150 (it's
> an Old World PCI Mac, like a 7600).
>
> First, the CD is not bootable on that computer or on my PowerMac
> 7600.  Huh?  The Linuxppc 2000 CD boots just fine on these computers.
> <snort>  [Could I make a bootable installation CD on my already
> functioning Debian PowerMac 7600? It has a Plextor CD writer and dual
> boots Debian Potato 2.2 and MacOS 9.]

As someone explained, you need Toast or another program with a license
to the Apple CD drivers to create bootable cds.  It's also quite tricky
to set up the system folder to do it; it requires messing with miBoot,
and I don't recommend it.

> Second, the install floppies can't be used for installing.  The first
> image, the boot floppy, which I created on my functioning Debian
> Linux box using dd, does boot the PowerComputing machine and then
> asks for the root disk.  When I insert the root disk and hit return
> nothing happens.  There is no response, as if the keyboard is dead.
> I tried this with the Apple adb keyboard that is standard equipment
> on that computer and also with a Microsoft USB keyboard that is
> attached to a USB board on the PCI bus.  Of course, I tried making a
> new root disk but that doesn't help.  I tried disconnecting one or
> the other of the keyboards but that doesn't help either.  (The
> PowerComputing machine had been successfully running Linuxppc 2000
> and both keyboards were working fine with that older kernel.)

Well, now, I'm confused.  You're not the first person to report this;
it's as iff something is completely hosed with that kernel.  I tried it
on a G4 (dual tower), and the USB support worked just fine.  If anyone
could shed light on this I'd be quite greatful.

Dan