Re: Print Configuration and the Epson Stylus Photo 750

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 07:47:14PM -0800, thus said Donnell:
> Thanks for the replies.  I tried magicfilter, utilizing Abe and Stewart's
> tips concerning the serial port settings.  However, I was still
> unsuccessful in getting any output.  I think it is because the Stylus
> Photo 750 is a 6-color printer.  Respectively, they had success with the
> Stylus 800 and 600--both 4-color printers.

Yes, the Stylus photo can also print with 4 inks, but that is kind of crappy
when the hardware can do better. Gimp-print does 6-ink printing fine. Oh,
they also do have a CUPS driver in gimp-print. (cups is the other printing
system for unix, I have never tried it though)

> I am now attempting to work with gimp-print as Tuomas suggested.  The .deb
> files I saw were for i386, so I had to opt for the source code.  I've been
> having some difficulty with ld during the make.  Since I'm not sure it is
> strictly gimp-print or Debian-powerpc related, I'll mention that I get the
> message "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgimpui" during make.  However if I
> issue ldconfig -v, I see the following:

>    /usr/lib:
>              libgimpui.so.1 => libgimpui.so.1.0.4
>
> What could cause such an error given the above indication?

You could check if you have the gimp-devel packages installed, it might be
missing gimptool.

The gimp-print source tarball has a make-deb.sh script that will fetch the
source packages for gs and libjpeg and some stuff, and it will build a deb
for you that works in your architecture. I know you then need to edit your

	/var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript.cfg

to do something like this:

----- start -----

#
# configuration related to postscript printing
# generated automatically by PRINTTOOL
# manual changes to this file may be lost
#
GSDEVICE=stp
RESOLUTION=1440x720
PAPERSIZE=a4
EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS="-sModel=escp2-1200 \
-sQuality='1440 x 720 DPI Highest Quality' -sDither='Adaptive Hybrid' \
-sInkType='Six Color Photo' -sMediaType='Photo Quality Inkjet Paper' \
-dImageType=2"
REVERSE_ORDER=
PS_SEND_EOF=NO
#
# following is related to printing multiple pages per output page
#
NUP=1
RTLFTMAR=18
TOPBOTMAR=18

---- end ----

Yes, I did make the initial config with printtool, then edited this by hand.
The problem with this is I am not sure if this works now, as I mostly print
from Gimp. It did work at some point though. But I got strange "no spool
file found" -errors at some point. The guys at gimp-print list should know
better than me though :) I hope you get it working. It would even make sense
to package this for debian, though then we'd need some config tool for it,
the options are many and not trivial to set without the documentation as
they are case-sensitive and long.

Also, note that you can create several printers on your /etc/printcap, each
with their own spool directory and postscript.conf. Those would be identical
except for paper and printing quality, if you want to print on plain paper
for example. Then name the printers like Epson-plain, Epson-glossy etc. Also
note that you want to change the sModel to represent your printer model. The
source tree has some documentation on the options and what works for which.
It works on other brands than Epson too, just that Epson was being helpful
and gave specs and test printers for the developers, and can now enjoy a
pretty much complete free driver for their products.

Oh, and get some of the glossy paper to test the results with, the print
quality looks a lot better on it.

> On Thu, 21 December 2000, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
>

> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 TRANSITIONAL//EN">

[removed some ugly content that looks like a bad mix of perl and postscript]

> > </TABLE>
> > </BODY>
> > </HTML>

Oh my gosh. How did this mail end up like this? When I mail from Evolution,
it looks perfectly normal in Mutt and most other mailers.. Looks like the
webmail you were using did something weird to my message.. Eeks. I apologize
for the ugly sight :)

Tuomas

--

.--->  tigert@helixcode.com     .    |\,/|          tigert@gimp.org  <-----.