gpm with 2.4 kernel

I recently compiled myself a new kernel (Paulus' 2.4.0-test10 on a
Wallstreet PowerBook) and spent a little while getting the new input layer
to be happy with gpm and X-windows.

When I am in the console and try to use gpm to select a chunk
of text from the console, the text garbles itself instead of highlighting.
When I try to paste, I get the same garbled text instead of what I
selected. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and what causes it?

Here is the  excerpt from /etc/gpm.conf:

device=/dev/mouse
responsiveness=
repeat_type=msc
type=imps2