Re: x11: not again...

Phil Fraering wrote:

> > On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 12:00:19AM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:
> > > Well, I tried running X after downloading the new X binary,
> > > and got the same result as always... suggestions welcome. Who
> > > else besides me and Hadess has an iBook DV here?
> >
> > I got my fiance a graphite iBook (a.k.a an iBook DV, I think) as an early
> > Christmas present, but I haven't tried to install Debian on it yet.
>
> OK, some graphite iBooks may be the pre-iBook DV models; the DV models have
> a firewire port. It's the third revision of the iBook (the first had
> 32 megs of ram; the second had 64 megs, and I think some video changes,
> but I'm not sure, and added the graphite. The iBook DV was a further
> evolution, with 64 megs, I think (but am not sure) yet more video ram,

And a different video card (Rage128 Mobility vs. Rage Pro/Mach64)

> and finally adding firewire (and changing the colors of the non-graphite
> model).
>
> Early models: 300 Mhz cpu, except for the graphite, which was 366.
> Colors available: orange, light blue, and graphite.
>
> DV: 366 Mhz cpu or 466 Mhz CPU; the 466 Mhz model has DVD as well.
> Colors available: indigo (only for 366), lime (both speeds),
> and graphite (466 only). I will avoid commenting on the lime
> color.
>
> Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I tried out TigerT's suggestion of
> enabling the "UseFB" option. It still didn't work, but the failure
> mode was a lot interesting: there were a bunch of almost-horizontal
> diagonal stripes on the screen. (Unfortunately, the stripes weren't
> orange and black, or the synchronicity would be complete).

Mine works perfectly, my XF86Config is in the Dull Files section on my
website.
I had to get aty128fb working first (although I'm not using "UseFBDev"),
I guess otherwise the video card is not correctly initialized and the
XFree driver doesn't know how to initialize it again.

I'm using the last XF4 that Branden put on his website before it moved
to Woody.
(dselect says: Version: 4.0.1-0phase2v5)

> Also, control-alt-delete caused xwindows to terminate. That didn't
> happen in earlier versions.
>
> So, at least the crashes are interesting, and I don't have to reboot,
> if I use the "UseFB" option. It's progress, IMHO.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net