External USB hard drives

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck with external USB hard drives?  From
what I have gathered from searches on google, the LaCie drives
apparently work (with 2.4.x kernel), but is this also true on PPC
architectures?

(BTW, before someone asks why on earth I'd want a terribly slow
external USB HD -- because I am out of internal bays, and since
I need it primarily for storage, speed is not an issue)

Also, someone here had said they were going to work on patching
the PCI sources for the PCI<->PCI bridge in the UMAX S900 (it
is apparently a cheap ripoff of the one used in the 9x00 Apple
PowerMacs), but I can't remember who.  If anyone would like to
give it a stab (and I'd really, really, really appreciate it :) the
problem is that IRQs are improperly assigned to all cards
residing in slots 2-6 (only slots 1 and 2 work properly).  The
cards are recognized fine, but the first card on the second
bus gets an IRQ of 1, next IRQ 2, etc etc, which obviously
is bogus.

The info this individual wanted from me so he could fix it was
the location of the interrupts node in the proc tree for the
pci bridge, which is:

/proc/device-tree/bandit/pci-bridge/AAPL,interrupts

TIA,
Jonathan