Re: USB mouse in X

Matt Brubeck wrote:

 If you have gpm running, it may be interfering with the X server. Try
 stopping gpm and then running X.

That did it! Mouse then behaved perfectly.

 If this is the problem, you can solve it by telling gpm to repeat with
 type "raw" (in /etc/gpm.conf) and making /dev/mouse a link to
 /dev/gpmdata.

I changed the relevant line in /etc/gpm.conf to read 'repeat_type=raw' - correct? and made the change to /dev/mouse. However, after rebooting, the mouse was frozen again, and even killing gpm made no difference.

 Alternately, you can run a recent kernel with the new input layer. Then
 your mouse device will be /dev/input/mice, and it will work with both gpm
 and X at the same time.

If possible, I really don't want to get into any major tinkering at this stage - just need to get things running! But is there somewhere to read up on the new input layer? I saw a suggested link to Ben H's site but it seems to be down at the moment.

Meanwhile, any further comments would be welcome - and many thanks for the help so far. Apologies if I'm being a bit obtuse here. I barely knew of the existence of gpm before this!

Tim