Re: XF4 on Mach64 and 2.2 kernel?

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Michel [iso-8859-1] Ddnzer wrote:
> > "Andrew B. Arthur" wrote:
> > > XFree86 4.0 ati driver started without a problem on my machine, although
> > > it crashes hard my machine after a bit of use.
> > >
> > > The fbdev driver is a bit more stable, but it leaves large black
> > > sploches on the screen, after dragging around windows.
> >
> > As the fbdev driver is unaccelerated and all it does is move data from and to
> > the video RAM, this is very strange... Have you tried
>
> This is a bug in atyfb. Curently atyfb doesn't support Mach64 VT chips very
> well (until someone fixes it).

It's funny- I haven't seen any of the old Mach64 VT problems (no/slow update to
covered windows, little horizontal lines) since upgrading to XF4.  And the
(unaccelerated?) fbdev driver feels about as fast as the 3.3 accelerated server,
again except for the GNOME logout.  So I'm very happy.

Maybe when I try the ati driver with UseFBDev later today I'll see the defects
again, but if it's faster still they may even be worth it. :-)

-Adam P.