Debian on 7200 -- Success!

Installing Debian GNU/Linux on a PowerMac 7200

This is how I got Debian to install on my PowerMac 7200/75. This computer is pretty much the factory setup. It has 24mb memory & a 500mb hard drive. The only non-standard addition is an Ansante 10/100 ethernet card (for 2 network cards, this is going to be a firewall).

I went the BootX route. I know, I'm a complete weenie but I really didn't feel like struggling with the screwed up Open Firmware that the 7200 has. If you decide to try something else, just remember to not even try yaboot it's for new world macs, the 7200 is an old world mac -- yaboot won't work on it.

I wanted the MacOS partition to be as small as possible. To do this I decided to use System 7.5.3 available for free (as in beer) from Apple's ftp site.

I built a bootable cd-rom with the tools i would need to install debian. I assembled the tools in a disk copy image first. I dragged the System folder from my PowerComputing PowerCenter 210 installer cd (it's OS 7.6.1, but I imagine the System folder from any bootable cd will work, except maybe OS 9). Then I added the following:
Mac Tools
	- System 7.5.3 CD Installer (ftp://ftp.apple.com/)
	- BBEdit Lite 4.6 (free as in beer. http://www.barebones.com/)
	- BootX 1.2.2
	- Disk Copy
	- Drive Setup (I used 1.9.2)
	- ResEdit 2.1.3

Linux Stuff (all from the disks-powerpc/powermac directory, I used the 07/17 set)
	- ramdisk.image.gz
	- linux kernel

Boot from cd. Use Drive Setup to repartition the drive (this wipes everything on the drive! permanently!) I created a 32mb partition for the MacOS (this was the smallest partition i could create with Drive Setup -- another partitioner like pdisk may allow smaller), 48mb for the swap and the remainder for the root partition. Create them as MacOS Standard, A/UX Swap and A/UX Root types respectively.

Install System 7.5.3 to the MacOS partition. Do a custom install and install just the minimum for this macintosh, plus the cd-rom driver (it's under the multimedia section). After the install you can trash the audio cd-player and other stuff you don't need.

Copy the BootX extension into the extensions folder. Copy the (empty) Linux Kernels folder into the System Folder. Put the linux file from the powermac disks section of the ftp site into the Linux Kernels folder. Put the ramdisk.image.gz file in the System Folder (loose in the System Folder, not in the Linux Kernels folder).

Use resedit to get info on folder/file on the BootX extension on the hard drive. Change the Type setting from scri to INIT (case is important). Save the change and exit resedit.

Reboot. In the BootX dialog box turn on the ramdisk with a setting of 8192 (probably on by default) and attempt to boot linux. It should boot into the installer.

Some additional notes:
I did an FTP install. ftp.us.debian.org is broken. The sid directory isn't replicating correctly. I installed from ftp.ca.debian.org instead. The http.us.debian.org does work correctly for the portions of the installer that require http connections.

I couldn't get the boot disks to work (7/17 or 7/20) originally I had a problem with the 7/17 one where it would spit out and not boot from it. This problem went away after downloading from ftp.ca.debian.org and using a different floppy to put the image on. But it then exhibited the same problem the 7/20 image has -- boot to a black screen. This symptom is also exhibited by the BootX extension, until you change the Type with ResEdit to an INIT from an scri. Not sure if this fix can be applied to the boot disks or not.

Kevin