Re: PowerMac 7300/200

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:19:05PM +0100, Christian Winkler wrote:
> Hi,
>

> obviously I am just to silly to install Debian on this machine.
> I tried the current potato disks-powerpc.
>
> Having some experience on installing Debian on i386 and sparc I
> have had no luck with the Mac so far.
>
> What happens is the following: trying to boot the rescue1440.bin
> floppy from OpenFirmware I always get errors with bad partition
> numbers. The boot-floppy-hfs.img boot fine (boot fd:linux), but
> cannot find an init. Fiddling around with kernel paramaters like
> load_ramdisk=1 and prompt_ramdisk=1 seemed to have little
> effect :-(.

The rescue disk has no bootloader on it...it only exists to copy the kernel
from during installation.  Use the COFF kernel instead:

boot fd:linux root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

I have no problem starting the install from the boot/root floppies this way.
However, there are several bugs in these images that will cause the rest of
the install to fail.  I've commited the changes in CVS, but things are so
damn broken from the "new and improved busybox" I can't get a new working
build from it.  I hacked the changes into the existing images to complete
my install on a Starmax I've acquired and have made them available at
http://www.debian.org/~porter.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com