specific to Hartmut Kuptein

Hartmut,

Sorry about sending this e-mail public, but the following 2 e-mail
addresses failed:

kuptein@debian.org
kuptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de

Being desparate, I am sending to the list as last resort to try and
find Hartmut.

>>Hartmut,
>>
>>I was given your name by Matt Porter, also of linux on ppc experience,
>>as being active on the debian-powerpc list/developers and also perhaps
>>some experience with ibm-rs6000 and chrp-type motherboards.
>>
>>(1) the link on the debian web site for ibm rs6000 kernel images
>>
>>sun4u.unicent.com: /pub/linux/rs6000/
>>
>>is unreachable.  Do you know how we can get these kernel images?
>>
>>(2) Specifically, we have an IBM RS600 power pc model 40p, 7020-601
>>    chip.  We think CHRP motherboard is applicable only because we
>>    have an AIX 4.1 bootable install CD which does work on the
>>    machine.  Indeed AIX 4.1 installs and seems to execute correctly.
>>    Of course, we are interested in installing Linux for various
>>    reasons.  This CD indicates a CHRP bootable image.  We have tried
>>    bootable images from several linuxppc sites, none of which seem to
>>    boot the machine.  It does recognice the CD or diskette, seems to
>>    try to boot from the image, then the graphics screen starts to
>>    clear from the bottom, goes up about 1/4 of the screen height, and
>>    the system hangs.  I am perplexed as to what to do.  I have
>>    significant experience with Debian/Linux on Intel and Alpha
>>    machines.  However, this is a strange machine indeed, and our
>>    progress is impeded by the inability to boot a Linux kernel
>>    initially.
>>
>>Please help if you can...

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |