Re: XFree86 and ATI accel.

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, luther sven wrote:
> Ok, I gave it a look, ...
>
> First you are using offb, which don't seem to set the accel flag, so it is normal that the X server don't recognizes the chip.
>
> So first you have to get a fbdev that sets the accel flag correctly, don't know if the offb is capable of that, best would be to ask on the fbdev mailing list, but perhaps someone on this list has an idea about it.

Offb is always unaccelerated. It's more or less a similar thing to the old
cyberfb that can't set video modes: it just uses the frame buffer given by Open
Firmware.

> second, there are actually 3 ATI accel flags defined, GT, GR, GX i think, but don't remember well. One of them is for the ATI RAGE chips, don't know if your RAGE LT is compatible with that, if not, a new accel flag should be defined.
>
> Anyway, once you fbdev sets the accel flag, it will be not to difficult to set the corresponding stuff in the X server to have it supported, at least if there are not to big differences between the rageLT and the other mach64 chips.
>
> > > on my powerbook g3/233 with ati rage-lt I'm unable to run your server
> > > accellerated..

Hmm, 2.2.10 (from http://cvs.on.openprojects.net/) works fine with atyfb on the
Powerbook G3 of my server, which also has a RageLTPro. And XF68_FBDev is
accelerated.

The question is: why doesn't like atyfb the chip?

Greetings,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be