Re: Xfree 3.3.3.1

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 08:53:53AM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > and he was very much annoyed that he was getting bugreports for an X
> > version that he didn't make.
>
> sure, but there is my name and email in the changelog file, this should
> appear in the maintainer field, isn't it ?

Nope.  Doesn't work that way, the one in the control file will.

> actually i checked, my packages are in potato, branden's one in slink,
> there should be no problem, that's what unstable is for, and we should
> not use experimental for this kind of things, at least that's what
> written in the developper doc, or even the policy, don't remember well.

Um.  Branden also has packages in potato.

> so i thought, ...
>
> but we need 3.3.3.1 for powerpc, and it is against the DFSG to make a
> source less upload of such stuff.
>
> also i don't think using the X packages of the japanese debian folk is
> not the solution, we need true 3.3.3 and up packages in main debian, if
> branden has no time for that, ok, he says it, and people like me will
> jump in, and make the packaging, under his direction would be best. X
> is to huge a package to handle alone. ANd this will not help him in his
> current flamewar about the X reorg.

If you hadn't noticed, I've had 3.3.3 packages in my home directory for
months.  I am waiting to pester Branden about them until slink X is
fixed, because every one of the changes he needs to make to it will
also need to be made to 3.3.3.1.  It only introduces confusion to have
both versions packaged.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |