Re: Assorted bugs

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 11:10:04PM -0500, Randy Gobbel wrote:
> I've finally gotten around to moving my day-to-day PowerPC Linux environment
> over to Debian.  Although it's sort of working, I'm running into lots of
> problems.  Any insight as to what's going on would be appreciated.  I'm also
> unsure how to deal with reporting these, since almost all of them are clearly
> platform-specific.  It seems like the standard bug report form needs a field
> for the platform, now that there are so many different ones.
>
> I'm using Sven's X packages of January 20 (3.3.3.1-0.2), downloaded from
> sunsite.auc.dk (thanks, Sven!).
>
> I'm not running on my Debian PowerPC setup at the moment, so some of these are
> less detailed than I'd like, but (some of) the things I've run into are:
>
> --In X, the backspace key doesn't work in emacs--just produces a beep.
> --ssh postinst dies with a missing symbol in libgmp2.

I swear, Dale is really stinking unresponsive.  I'm on the verge of
NMUing libgmp2.  Maybe this week.

> --netscape dependencies are seriously broken.  All of the netscape packages
> depend on nonexistent "netscape-base" packages.  There's a package in contrib
> whose name is close, but not right.

netscape-base should exist.  We'll get back to netscape.

> --After running fix961212 on my existing netscape (4.08), it runs, but dies
> with a Bus Error very quickly--all I have to do to kill it is try to open the
> preferences dialog.  I have managed to get the old unfixed netscape working by
> using chroot, but that's an enormous pain.  Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't
> seem to be sufficient.  The fixed netscape still wants libstdc++.so.2.8.0.
> Could that be part of the problem, and is there a way to fix that?

We really don't know.  Bad things are netscape.

> --rlogind doesn't work, complains "out of ptys".

Do you have a /dev/pts filesystem mounted and a /dev/ptmx?

mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

(That needs kernel support)

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |