Re: BootX compatable boot disk?

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 07:02:41PM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 1999, Bruce Ide <greyfox@supremo.cspot.com> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone come up with a BootX compatable boot disk for Debian PPC? I
> >have a PowerMac G3 that I'd love to install Debian PPC on, but I have no
> >way to bootstrap the initial file system up there at this time.
>
> I have the same question ;-)
>
> I would like to try out debian on one of my machines, but I didn't manage
> to install it yet (I didn't try very hard and I'm definitely not very
> good at doing userland things on linux, my domain is the kernel ;-)
>
> So where can I find an up-to-date base filesystem, and is there an
> installer boot-disk (I can floppy boot if necessary) that works (the last
> time I tried one, it failed in lots of horrible ways) ? Or can someone
> explain me how to change a manually un-tared base filesystem into a
> working installation without the installer ?

Well, the only bright light for an installer right now is Joel's new
machine - which doesn't want to boot.  I am afraid that I don't have
the resources or time to work on an installer right now, and the
current one is messy.  I may try to rebuild the base tarball, though.

Installing without the installer is ... messy.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |