Re: Xfree 3.3.3.1

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 12:32:22PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 01:44:13AM +0200, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> > > Not to offend anyone -again... I think I have that tendency after all- but
> > > you created them so quickly, while there have been 2 months since 3.3.3
> > > has been released and no official debian packaged has even appeared in the
> > > experimental area. I really am curious.
>
> Just to defend Branden: he has been doing great work on reorganizing the
> X packages. They are now much more modular and install easier. X being
> the huge monster that it is introduced a bunch of weird errors that have
> to be fixed before we can release slink. And that is were all of
> Brandens time has been going: making sure that we have X packages in
> slink that work good, for everyone.
>
> As a result he hasn't been able to package 3.3.3(.1) yet. Now that the X
> packages for slink are allmost ready he should be able to work on that
> pretty soon. But remember that a lot of things have changed in the
> sources, which means that he will have to check each patch again to see
> if it's still working or necessary. That will take time.

no problem, ...

i have to say that was very useful for building this packages, and that i
applied the patches and tried to resolve most of the rejections quickly.

it took me less time than to compile all the stuff.

i needed them, since since my partition crash i reinstalled debian, and the old ppc
packages didn't work for me, and i was not able to build X from the 3.3.2.3a-8.1 sources.

3.3.3.1 builds cleanly under powerpc, and it facilitate things a lot i think for us.

i had to play with the debian/create-arch stuff to add the same exception for ppc than for m68k,
and i solved the (unreported i think) parse-x86config bug than prevented xdm from booting when
using the XF68_FBDEV server.

anyway, i will be happy if someone will take this stuff from my hands again, but in the mean time,
i needed a working X on ppc, so ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER