Re: Broken /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives (or was it /etc/alternatives?)

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 03:42:07PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Due to a broken base tarball, I still have a broken variant of one of the
> directories mentioned in the subject. How can I fix it? Is it enough to just
> reinstall dpkg?
> Reinstalling from scratch is not an option at the moment.
>
> Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, it's both.

Reinstalling dpkg is not going to help - it will leave alternatives
alone.  If you delete the contents of /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives, you
should be all right - reinstalling any of the packages mentioned in
there should fix the individual cases, and the symlinks (which live in
/etc/alternatives) will continue to work.  I recommend keeping a backup
in case I'm wrong, though.

Dan