Re: problems compiling kernel, ...

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 07:49:05PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > On 16/11/99 Kevin Puetz wrote:
> >
> > >The following are true:
> > >I could not build kernels older than 2.2.12 or so with the new 2.95 gcc
> > >I read somewhere that this was known to be broken on x86
> > >
> > >I therefore inferred:
> > >This is a general problem with the kernel and/or gcc, including PPC.
> > >
> > >This was affirmed when the newer kernel source worked fine.
> >
> > AFAIK the only thing that really changed regarding compilers in
> > 2.2.12 was to add a check in the Makefile for gcc 2.95 and if that is
> > what is being used add the compiler flag -fno-strict-aliasing which
> > allows the kernel to be compiled.
>
> But -fstrict-aliasing is not activated by -O2 anymore with gcc 2.95.2 (because
> it caused a lot of trouble) so it shouldn't make a difference...

:(, ...

Michel lets bug Jes for a new m68k stable release, and take the stable kernel
over from Jesper, What do you think about it ?

Jesper, i volunteer for taking over the apus 2.2 tree, but i am not sure if i
can do the same for the m68k side. I will write on the linux-m68k list about
this.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER