Re: Debian PowerPC CD?

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, John MacPhail wrote:
> With a minimal MkLinux install, at least you can start with something
> that works (more or less) on nubus.  And then I think you'll find the
> mklinux-setup mailing list friendly towards your wish to move from rpm
> to apt and dpkg.  Admittedly the upcoming release of MkLinux is
> RedHat-based, but there have been encouraging signs of interest in
> moving it toward Debian.  (And those signs existed even before Redhat
> went public.)  In fact, the MkLinux release is supposed to come out in
> a matter of weeks, and I suggest that moving toward Debian should then
> become top priority for the MkLinux Developers Association.  I really
> only speak for myself, but I sort of expect to find some agreement....

Since the only difference between MkLinux and Linux/PPC is the kernel (and some
low-level userspace apps like X servers), I see no problems using a Debian
userspace with the MkLinux kernel.

If MkLinux would have been a `real' microkernel with a hurd of service, it
would be different :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org