Re: potato boot-floppies for powerpc uploaded

Hi, I have a same machine as Susumu has, IBM PowerSeries 830.

At Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:53:58 -0700,
Matt Porter <mmporter@home.com> wrote:

> Good question considering it just use plain VGA console...which relies on
> the BIOS putting the VGA card into text mode.  There must be something
> seriously wrong with the way the IBM firmware initializes a display
> adapter.  What is the your firmware type/rev and what type of display
> adapter are you using?

I just tried boot-floppies last night, and the result was the same.

Display adapter is a on-board S3 864. I could see.
But I have no idea about how can I get the firmware type/rev.

I don't know about ppc patches though, locally build pure 2.2.1
kernel could use VGA console. I know it's too old, but patches
later than 2.2.1 causes IDE interrupt trouble.

I can build Linus tree kernels on ppc and see how VGA console
works. Any suggestions?

> BTW, would you be willing to document the procedure for booting from the
> IBM firmware you have and how you booted to this point so I can
> include the information in the documentation?

He once told me on IRC that he could tftp boot, but I'm not sure.
I've only tried to boot from rescue image on floppy disk drive.
It seems not much difficult, but we can't start installation. :-)

--
Shuichi OONO