Re: potato boot-floppies for powerpc uploaded

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <bh40@calva.net> wrote:

>My beige G3 contains "Power Macintosh" in the "model" property, My wallstreet
>PowerBook contains "PowerBook" and an iMac I have here returns "iMac".
>
>I beleive you should also check the device tree's "compatible" property and
>look for "MacRISC", I think all PowerMacs have this one (If someone
could check
>with the "old" 8500/7500 machines, my 8500 is out of order for now).

Correcting myself, the iMac contains "iMac,1". I think we should only
rely on the "compatible" property. This property contains a list of
null-terminated strings, the kernel will put all the entries in the
"motherboard:" field of /proc/cpuinfo separated with space. You can
either lookup /proc/device-tree/compatible and get the null-terminated
strings, or look for cpuinfo. In the list, the only property that seems
to be always here on PowerMacs (even on the iBook) is "MacRISC"