Re: potato boot-floppies for powerpc uploaded

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 01:52:51PM +0900, Susumu OSAWA wrote:
> At Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:11:04 -0700,
> Matt Porter <mmporter@home.com> wrote:
> > PowerPC specific - PReP support is complete. (IBM PReP support is not
> >  		                              thoroughly tested.)
>
> I tested my IBM PReP machine(Power Series 830).
>
> Kernel was booted up and mounted ramdisk, but screen was black out and
> installer does not display anyting. So I did setup serial console and
> booted kernel, installer displayed dialog box (and I stop it) .
>
> Hmm, what is differents about console support between IBM and
> Motorola`s PReP macines?

Good question considering it just use plain VGA console...which relies on
the BIOS putting the VGA card into text mode.  There must be something
seriously wrong with the way the IBM firmware initializes a display
adapter.  What is the your firmware type/rev and what type of display
adapter are you using?

BTW, would you be willing to document the procedure for booting from the
IBM firmware you have and how you booted to this point so I can
include the information in the documentation?

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com