Kernel questions and X lockups..

Hi, I've been using Debian/PPC for a bit, and have noticed some annoying things
about Xpmac on my G3... after a certain amount of usage, it locks up in kind
of a funky way.. the mouse still moves, sometimes I can move windows and things,
but new programs won't start, and running programs stop responding. This is esp.
associated with Netscape 4.6, but I'm not sure if thats not my imagination.

The other issue with Xpmac is that while backspace works at the Login.app screen
it does /not/ work after I log in.. trying to do a stty in an xterm shows that
backspace sends some big nasty ansi sequence (maybe kp_backspace?).

Any hints on either of these issues? Both of these problems are in the latest
version of Potato.

My other question is in regards to the kernel and is pretty non-debian but
I guess you guys may know something about it.. is there a site that lists
the kernel configs for different machines? ie, how I should config my
PowerMac G3's kernel to use the internal devices.

thanks for any help:)
nick