Re: GNU/Linux on Blue G3s
>>>>> "Ben" == Ben <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
Ben> Hi; I started a page on Linux on Blue G3's
Ben> please contribute howtos or any other useful information to
I have Potato running on my B&W G3. The installation was all done by hand,
using the LinuxPPC installer. Here's what I did:
1) Grabbed the LinuxPPC installer for the iMac.
2) Grabbed a prebuilt G3 kernel from http://www.linuxppc.com
(there's now a kernel at ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com that
3) Got a base LinuxPPC install going.
4) Grabbed base2_2.tgz from Potato's PowerPC port.
5) Untarred base2_2 on a partition.
6) Fixed up all of the loose ends in ``/etc/''. Namely the init scripts.
7) Booted my box.
Everything worked pretty much out of the box, although I'm still having
trouble booting my own kernels. :P
If you're interested in putting a more formal mini-HOWTO, I'd be up for
that. Also, about step 3, that isn't needed, but it was really nice to
have as a bootstrap.