Re: Assistance

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:23:21AM -0600, Middle School wrote:
> I teach at a Middle School in Central Texas.  Am trying to find a Linux
> that will run on iMacs so I can show it to my students.  Went to your
> site, went through the 'what do you need' steps to download your version
> and got a page that said I don't need to download the CD, just go to
> /diust/stable/main/disks-XXX/ and dowload the appropriate directory for
> my system (choose PowerPC as closest thing listed),

http://penguinppc.org/usr/hw/pmac.shtml says iMac is supported indeed,
you indeed need the PowerPC port.  However,  "Installing Debian/PowerPC
is not as simple as installing Debian for some other systems", so be
prepared to read some documentation to get your system up and running.

> but all I get when I
> click on the folder is a page with release notes and a link for
> contents.....no file(s) to download.....am I doing something wrong?

Installation instructions for iMac and other PowerMac based machines
are on

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/pmac

I believe the people on debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org can help
you further.

> Maybe I don't understand ftp sites, but usually get a choice to save
> files or a window asking for a location and name to save to?
>
> Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Bill

Bye,

Joost

--